Friday 8 May 2020

Cocktail No 85 Martini Medium

I was going to skip this, but as I planned to do every gin cocktail in the book, taking one for the team. As I expected, it is too sweet for me. Don't get me wrong, Birkdale gin is the perfect gin for a Martini. The 15 botanicals I use to make it are a perfect complement to the herbs in vermouth, I just prefer it very dry as in the vermouth, not necessarily the amount. Some people add dry vermouth to the cocktail glass, pour it away and then add chilled gin - bit strong for me. This recipe has a bit too much vermouth for my taste at 50%, 25% is better IMHO.

The Rosso Vermouth does bring a much richer and earthier flavour than the dry vermouth which is very interesting but it does bring that extra sweetness, which kills it for me I am afraid. Still for those with a sweet palate, who have not tried or like a Dry Martini, this could be a welcome introduction.

Recipe

Ice cubes
40 ml Birkdale gin
10 ml Dry Vermouth or Noilly Prat (I would go for the former and save your money on this one)
10 ml Rosso Vermouth
Piece of orange peel.

Put Ice, gin and vermouths in a mixing glass. Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with orange peel.

ps, with a surname of Bond, I naturally have to have my Martinis shaken, not stirred.



No comments:

Post a Comment