Friday 8 November 2013

Cocktail No 34 Mogulmeister - by special request.

An old school chum gave me this challenge:

"My challenge to you Gene, is to come with a cocktail called "fruit-of-the-loom". Marks will be awarded for conceptual structure and originality while still filling the brief."

However, knowing this particular individual, I felt Fruit of the Loon was more appropriate.

Sadly, I cannot comply as I have been beaten to this name for a cocktail:

http://www.cocktailszone.com/cocktails/fruit-of-the-loom_3564.html

So I dedicate my concoction to the spirit of the challenge and name it in honour of my challenger:

This will be difficult for most of you to recreate unless you make your own fruit infused Vodka. I had a lousy harvest this year, so mine was a mix of Raspberries, Gooseberries and Blackcurrants. Simply mascerate and put in a bottle and top up with Vodka for several months. I don't add sugar which can help in the breakdown of the fruit as it becomes too sweet and alcohol is sufficient in my experience with time.

So the idea was natural fruit in the Vodka flavoured with home grown Raspberries, Gooseberries and Blackcurrants, softened with some Galliano and a splash of cream to give a white wool effect.

It works rather well. Well balanced. Film over the teeth. nice viscosity for mouth-feel. And the cream gives a snow effect to fit the Mogul reference and the Galliano give vanilla to smooth the drink out.

Recipe

Add 1 & 1/2 measures of home made fruit infused Vodka (not sure if the commercial fruit vodkas would work as they are much sharper) to a shaker with 1/2 measure Galliano and a splash of single cream to taste. Shake on Ice and strain into a Cocktail glass.



No comments:

Post a Comment