Tuesday 23 June 2020

Cocktail No 101 Monty YTC Gold!

I have been challenged by an old school friend to make a cocktail, who is Scottish and partial to the odd wee dram of the spirit of life.I was provided the name of the cocktail so worked around it  - a quote I believe from Withnail and I.

So this is a variation on the Sidecar, using Malt Whisky instead of Brandy, but with a few twists. 

Y is an egg yolk, making this cocktail into a gold! For T, I was thinking Talisker Whisky, but consulting Charlie he would prefer Tamnavulin, if you can ever find it. The C of course is Cointreau and the ! lemon. The tasting notes on the Tamnavulin mentions chocholate mouse and extra thick cream, hence a teaspoon of Crème de Cacau. The creaminess comes from the egg yolk.

The lemon is bittingly sharp, I squeezed half a lemon instead of a measure, so perhaps too much. The whisky is prominant. The Cointreau is hidden in the background and the egg yolk, gives a silkiness and texture that is quite delightful. 

As I come to the bottom of the glass I find that I really enjoyed this one

Recipe

2-3 ice cubes
25 mls Malt Whisky (preferably Tamnavulin)
15 mls Cointreau
15 mls Lemon juice
1 teaspoon Crème de Cacau
1 egg yolk

Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake really well to mix the egg yolk and create a luscious silky smooth emulsion. Pour into a cocktail glass and enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment